[xmonad] XMonad.Actions.Search: Issue with escaped URL

Christian Heinrich com-xmonad at gladbachcity.de
Fri Jun 12 12:59:32 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

I've started to use XMonad.Actions.Search and I'm trying to define my own SearchEngine as follows:

> searchFunc :: String -> String
> searchFunc s = "https://de.pons.com/übersetzung/französisch-deutsch/" ++ (escape s)
> pons = searchEngineF "pons" searchFunc

The german umlauts ü and ö are actually part of the URL. According to the documentation,
searchEngineF should not handle any escaping (unlike searchEngine), but the URL that is opened for "a" is

https://de.pons.com/%C3%83%C2%BCbersetzung/franz%C3%83%C2%B6sisch-deutsch/a

I can't find what I'm doing wrong even when looking at the source.

Could anyone point out to me how to open that URL without escaping anything? I'm just surprised that
the base-URL is escaped as well, and not just the argument. I'm pretty new to Haskell and would be
grateful for any hint.

Thanks!

Christian