[xmonad] master window with fixed pixels layout.

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 21:13:12 UTC 2020

xmonad does everything in terms of fractions of a screen size, because a
workspace is not pinned to a particular monitor and monitors may have
different resolutions. So it's not clear what a pixel-based size would do,
especially if it were bigger than one of the monitors.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 4:11 PM Alejandro Garcia <agarciafdz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello first of all thank you for xmonad.
> the seconds I have saved every day by not having o drag and drop windows
> has given me more time to focus on what matters.
> get the job done and go home to play with my kids.
>
>  I would like to know:
> Is there a window layout with the property that the width and height
> of the master window can be specified in pixels?
>

> my use case Is that I would like to record video casts.
> But it would be helpful for me if the window size of the master window
> stays fixed independently of the other windows open in the screen.
>
> I have checke FixedColumns. but on it the Width of the column is
> specified in a rare metric (characters?)
> plus the height is not fixed.
>
> Any recommendation ?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Alejandro García F. (elviejo)
>
> Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org
>
> EOM – End Of Message. The whole message is in the subject don't need to
> open it.
> NNTR – No Need To Respond. Help cut down on all those “cool” and
> “thanks” emails.
> SINGLE SUBJECT. Send one email for one topic, this makes replies easy..
> CLEAR CALL TO ACTION: Ask for some specific result very clearly.

brandon s allbery kf8nh
allbery.b at gmail.com