[xmonad] How to trigger Xmonad.Prompt.AddFile on recurrent times?

Platon Pronko platon7pronko at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 15:52:41 UTC 2020

Hi!

I'm not an expert, but it seems that forking a thread inside XMonad itself wouldn't work - there is no function that will allow you to convert X () back to IO (), thus you can't use the usual forkIO calls.

You can probably implement something via X events and server-mode hooks: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.16/docs/XMonad-Hooks-ServerMode.html

But may I suggest using a much simpler approach and skipping XMonad entirely? You can use for example `yad` or `zenity` to display a graphical input box directly from a script. For example something like the following:

$ yad --text="Current activity:" --entry >> activity-log.txt

Best regards,
Platon Pronko