[xmonad] Universal argument a lá Emacs for Xmonad

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 12:53:33 UTC 2019

I don't know of one, but see no reason the machinery in (say)
X.A.CycleWindows couldn't be extended to do so. It'd be easier if held to
single digits, though.

General numeric argument as in emacs is harder, since the only automatic
parameter to commands is the focused window and even that is only for mouse
actions; there's nowhere to stick it except ExtensibleState for other
commands. Hypothetically a wrapper could repeat a command based on said
state, but that's not necessarily how you want to handle the parameter in
all cases (consider the question of whether the repeats start from the
original state or the final one, when the command changes e.g. focused
window; and worse when the focused window change happens only later such
that you can't really do something based on it).

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:43 PM Ruben Astudillo <ruben.astud at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all
>
> On Emacs you can pass certain functions an interactive argument via the
> C-u chord. For example you can press C-u 5 C-n to move 5 lines down the
> buffer. Sometimes I've wanted this functionality on XMonad, for example
> to be able to do stuff like `C-u 3 modm-m` to move to the third window
> counted from the main window if it exists. I wonder if somebody know if
> that's implemented as a module.
>
> --
> -- Ruben
> -- PGP: 4EE9 28F7 932E F4AD