[xmonad] xmonad on ubuntu desktop environment

Steve Quezadas steve at thestever.net
Sat Oct 20 16:31:18 UTC 2018

Hello, I got a new computer and install ubuntu to 18.04 (Bionic Beaver).
When i login through xmonad, my ubuntu desktop environment disappears,
it's all black. No wallpaper, no tray, no nothing. My xmonad.hs file is
as follows:
 > import XMonad
 > import XMonad.Config.Desktop
 >
 > baseConfig = desktopConfig
 >
 > main = xmonad baseConfig
 >    { modMask = mod4Mask }

This config file worked with my previous version of ubuntu and now just
loads a black screen. I can get into my terminal window by doing a
mod-shift-enter and that's how I get around, but I would like to get
back into the ubuntu tray (mod-p, for instance).

I tried an alternative configuration on one of the wiki's to no avail.
 > import XMonad import
 > XMonad.Config.Gnome
 >
 > main = xmonad gnomeConfig

Tried googling, checking the wiki's and going through the documentation
to no avail.

I am thinking maybe there's some error on the logs or something that I
can check. or is there something that I'm doing that is obviously wrong?

- Steve