[xmonad] Cntr-F not working in several apps and Chrome has no menubar

Gregory Propf gpropf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 21:55:32 UTC 2017

Well I now feel stupid. I did just that before reading your message and
looking over my .xbindkeysrc file. I had looked before and found something
that might have been a problem so I commented it out and re-ran xbindkeys
and restarted Xmonad. It didn't help. Just after installing xdotool so I
could list out passive grabs I decided to grep for xbindkeys processes. I
realized that the now days-old xbindkeys that had started the last time I
rebooted and logged in was still running. I had thought that xbindkeys was
just a thing that ran, changed some things in X and then died. The original
process must have initiated a passive grab on Ctrl-f and was holding on to
it. A simple 'killall xbindkeys' later and my beloved Ctrl-f is working
everywhere. I'm still glad I made the effort because the Arduino IDE is now
much easier to use in general and any other Java stuff should benefit as
well. I also learned of the existence of this "passive grab" nonsense in X.
Thanks for all your help on this Brandon.