[xmonad] Cntr-F not working in several apps and Chrome has no menubar

Gregory Propf gpropf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 09:17:33 UTC 2017

Well I looked at the Java link and tried using the environment variable fix
they recommend (_JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1). It fixed the terrible
formatting I was seeing but so far still no Ctrl-f. Other hotkeys like
Ctrl-T (autoformatting) work fine though. Anyway that's definitely an
improvement. I know about the 3 dots on Chrome. That's how I get to the
"find" menu option. I just wish the hotkey worked. I think something is
really wrong with Ctrl-f for me. Running 'xbindkeys -k -v' and hitting
Ctrl-f in the window it pop up gives you:

m:0x4 + c:37
Control + Control_L

or with the right Ctrl key:

m:0x4 + c:105
Control + Control_R

Those are just the codes for the Ctrl keys alone though. It's like the F
isn't even being pressed. From other Ctrl keys I get correct codes. Here's
Ctrl-e for example.

m:0x4 + c:26
Control + e

The 'f' key works just fine though. It just won't do anything with the Ctrl
key. I just checked emacs and it doesn't work there either. It looks like
the Ctrl-f combo is just hosed for the entire desktop. I guess I could
start to suspect my keyboard but this problem started when I switched from
Ubuntu (Unity) to Arch (Xmonad). I also tried an ultra-minimal xmonad.hs to
rule out xmobar and some of the extensions I'm using and even tried taking
out the mod4Mask. Still no fix.

import XMonad
import XMonad.Config.Desktop

baseConfig = desktopConfig

main = xmonad baseConfig
    { terminal    = "urxvt"
    , modMask     = mod4Mask
    }

Very strange.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You aren't binding control-F, so xmonad isn't the problem there. You
might try using xev to see what happens to it. Something else you are
running may have a passive grab on it, but xorg doesn't provide a way to
inspect passive grabs. :/

https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Frequently_asked_questions#Problems_with_Java_applications.2C_Applet_java_console

> Chrome doesn't normally have a menubar;  but it may register its dropdown
(look for three vertical dots at the end of the location bar, after any
extension icons) with Unity's panel to fake one. You can't use xmonad with
Unity, so if you require Unity's menu bar hack then you will need to run
Unity. Chrome will hide some other parts of its UI if you have "Use system
title bar and borders" checked in the Appearance section of the Settings
tab.

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 12:05 AM, Gregory Propf <gpropf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've been looking around for others with these problem but haven't found
anything so far, much less a fix. The subject line sums up the problems.
Cntr-F isn't working in a few apps I use a lot. I think there are others
but the main ones are Google Chrome (Version 57.0.2987.98 (64-bit)) and the
Arduino IDE (v 1.8.0). I'm running a recent install of Arch Linux and
Xmonad 0.13-1 from the Arch repository. I don't have a complex xmonad.hs
but I'll post it here. There are a few other glitches like the fact that
the menus in the Arduino IDE appear off to the side from the menu labels
but I can live with that. Being able to search is kind of important though.
What I do right now in both Chrome and Arduino IDE is click on the file
menu and then select "Find" from the drop-down menu. It's workable but
quite cumbersome. My Haskell skills are actually pretty good BTW so I'm not
afraid of the code. I'd even be willing to contribute at some point.

ballbery at sinenomine.net
http://sinenomine.net