[xmonad] Cntr-F not working in several apps and Chrome has no menubar

Gregory Propf gpropf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 04:05:18 UTC 2017

I've been looking around for others with these problem but haven't found
anything so far, much less a fix. The subject line sums up the problems.
Cntr-F isn't working in a few apps I use a lot. I think there are others
but the main ones are Google Chrome (Version 57.0.2987.98 (64-bit)) and the
Arduino IDE (v 1.8.0). I'm running a recent install of Arch Linux and
Xmonad 0.13-1 from the Arch repository. I don't have a complex xmonad.hs
but I'll post it here. There are a few other glitches like the fact that
the menus in the Arduino IDE appear off to the side from the menu labels
but I can live with that. Being able to search is kind of important though.
What I do right now in both Chrome and Arduino IDE is click on the file
menu and then select "Find" from the drop-down menu. It's workable but
quite cumbersome. My Haskell skills are actually pretty good BTW so I'm not
afraid of the code. I'd even be willing to contribute at some point.

import XMonad
import XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog
import XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks
import XMonad.Util.Run(spawnPipe)
import XMonad.Util.EZConfig(additionalKeys)
import System.IO

main = do
    xmproc <- spawnPipe "/usr/bin/xmobar -d /home/gregory/.xmobarrc"
    xmonad $ docks defaultConfig
    -- xmonad $ defaultConfig
        { manageHook = manageDocks <+> manageHook defaultConfig
        , layoutHook = avoidStruts  $  layoutHook defaultConfig
        , logHook = dynamicLogWithPP xmobarPP
                        { ppOutput = hPutStrLn xmproc
                        , ppTitle = xmobarColor "green" "" . shorten 50
                        }
        , modMask = mod4Mask     -- Rebind Mod to the Windows key
        , terminal = "urxvt"
        }