[xmonad] auto start apps on login, but not reloads

Sam Halliday sam.halliday at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 10:19:51 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I am trying to set up auto start of my main applications.

Following http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10976044/ I have added the following to my `startupHook`

    startup :: X ()
    startup = do
              setWMName "LG3D"
              spawnOn "workspace1" "urxvt"
              spawnOn "workspace2" "emacs"
              spawnOn "workspace3" "chromium"

but there are three problems:

1. I am duplicating the definition of my terminal. It seems like I
   should be using
   [`shellPromptOn`](http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Actions-SpawnOn.html)
   but it takes an extra parameter and I don't know where to get it
   from.

2. this is putting everything on my current workspace. How can I find
   out what my workspaces are called? I don't believe I've customised
   the names, you can see [my .xmonad/xmonad.hs on github to
   confirm](https://github.com/fommil/dotfiles/blob/master/.xmonad/xmonad.hs)

3. This will start the apps again on a `xmonad --restart`. How can we
   guard against that? It is very useful to be able to restart xmonad
   without quitting and I don't want to lose that ability.

NOTE: re-post of tumbleweed http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42467774