[xmonad] Controlling Window Location with XMonad.Layout.ThreeColumns

Eyal Erez oneself at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 22:02:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have an ultrawide monitor and so I use ThreeColumns most of the
time.  I create it like so:

    ThreeColMid 1 (3/100) (1/3)

This works fine, however, I'm getting some strange behavior when
creating an closing windows.  I hope I can explain this with a small
diagram which shows window location as I create and close apps:

CREATE
1 [   a   ]
2 [b][ a  ]
3 [a][c][b]

CLOSE
1 [a][c][b]
2 [b][ a  ]
3 [   a   ]

So, when going from 2 to 3 open windows, window "a" and "b" switch
location for some reason. in step #2 "b" is on the left and "a" is on
the right, but when a third window is added (or removed) they swap
locations.  This is very confusing.

Is there anyway I can cause this to stop happening?  It would also be
nice if window "b" was created into the active location, but that's
more of a nitpick.

Thank you

--
There are 10 types of people, those who know binary and those who don't.