[xmonad] Xmobar covered by window on startup screen

Chris Bell cwbell at narmos.org
Wed May 4 18:16:33 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've been running into an interesting problem lately. I use a very basic
xmonad/xmobar setup (system info below); not much more than the sample plus some hotkeys.
Recently, when I start xmonad (either with startx or MOD+q) xmobar is
covered by any windows, as if I did not have manageDocks in my
manageHook function. However, it only does this on the screen/desktop
that is active when xmonad is (re)started.

So, when I first start xmonad on a single-screen machine, workspace 1
(the default startup workspace) will show this issue, but none of the
other workspaces will. I can 'fix' this by changing to workspace 9
(which I rarely use), and restarting xmonad with MOD+q. Then, on
workspace 9, windows will cover xmobar, but not on 1-8.

On multi-screen desktops, this occurs with ALL initial workspaces - on
my 4-screen desktop, on startup, windows will cover xmobar on workspaces
1-4, but not 5-9 (until I switch to 6-9 and restart xmonad).

I have been experiencing this problem for a few months now, but haven't
mentioned it because the "workaround" does the job, as long as I have
enough unused workspaces. I'd really like to figure out what I broke or
what I need to change...

System Info
OS: Arch Linux (64-bit, of course)
xmonad: v0.12