[xmonad] kill -STOP/-CONT hack

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 21:36:04 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Adam Sjøgren <asjo at koldfront.dk> wrote:

> I am trying that now, and it doesn't seem to work for me - the Firefox
> on workspace 3 is still using 5-10% CPU, regardless of how long I have
> been on another workspace.

I was waiting to see if the author of the contrib would jump in, but I
guess not. (Contribs are contributed, as the name suggests, and we can't
necessarily support all of them directly.)

That said, browsers are likely to be a specific screw case these days
because sandboxing means that windows or even individual tabs may be
running in their own processes (they certainly are in Chrome / chromium).
It is not reliably possible (indeed, not necessarily possible at all) to go
from an X11 window to all the associated processes, especially going in
both directions (that is, downward from a window to tab sandbox processes
*and* up from it to the parent browser process(es)), so stopping the whole
browser is not going to happen and individual tab processes may well keep
running as well, with only the process that created the window itself
stopped. (I can't speak for Firefox, but for Chrome this will be a process
largely independent of all the tabs, other windows, and various other
working processes including any installed apps.) I could also imagine the
browser not handling this well since it might well not expect a single
process in the chain to be stopped (...or it might handle it by sending
SIGCONT on seeing a process come back to waitpid() with WSTOPPED, defeating
the layout modifier).