[xmonad] XMonad.Prompt font

Adam Sjøgren asjo at koldfront.dk
Sun Jun 12 20:40:08 UTC 2016

I was experimenting with switching from dmenu to XMonad.Prompt.Shell.

With dmenu I can get the font I want by passing the argument '-fn "DejaVu
Sans Condensed-8:normal"' (a truetype font, using xft).

I would like the same in XMonad.Prompt.Shell.

xfontsel(1) of course does not list truetype fonts, and the
documentation only says:

  "data XPConfig
     Constructors
       XPC
         font :: String    Font"

    - http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Prompt.html

So if anyone else runs into this: what you need to know/guess is to
prefix the 'font' with "xft:" in your configuration; i.e.:

  myPromptConfig = defaultXPConfig
                   {
                     position = Top
                     -- ...
                   , font = "xft:DejaVu Sans Condensed-8"
                   }

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "How are you this tiny and this strong? You are              Adam Sjøgren
  like an ant!"                                          asjo at koldfront.dk