[xmonad] Yet another fullscreen thread...

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 06:54:21 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 1:48 AM, Bogdan Sinitsyn <bogdan.sinitsyn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Friday, January 22, 2016 1:43:04 AM MSK Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 12:46 AM, Daniel Wagner <dmwit at dmwit.com> wrote:
> > > It should be possible to find out what geometry the window is asking
> for.
> > > You could use that to decide whether the requested geometry is "big
> > > enough"
> > > to put full-screen or not. From looking at the source of `doFloat` in
> > > xmonad-core, I would guess `liftX . floatLocation` will give you the
> > > requested geometry in a `ManageHook`-friendly way.
> >
> > fwiw I tracked down a problem with my xmonad.hs to an apparent bug in
> this
> > which probably plays into the various reports of fullscreen windows
> having
> > the wrong size when the default borderWidth is nonzero. Haven't looked at
> > the code yet, but be aware that you may need to add 2*borderWidth conf to
> > both height and width to get the correct window size.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to set border width from fullscreenEventHook?

That's not the point. floatLocation misreports the requested position and
size of *all* windows, because whoever wrote it didn't realize that the
border is *inside* the window. And the default border is always set before
ManageHook etc. run, which is also before the _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
change can be communicated to us whether it's by being set at ManageHook
time or by sending a message to the root window.

This does imply that if you decide to remove the border, you need to adjust
the position and size again to compensate.