[xmonad] Not running my startupHook on restart

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 20:44:32 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Jakob Schöttl <jschoett at gmail.com> wrote:

> For me it does not work, I don't know why.
>
> myStartupHook = do
>     args <- io getArgs
>     spawn $ "xmessage " ++ show (length args)

Actually... I updated to 0.12 and at the same time switched from ghc 7.6.3
to 7.10.3, and found the same thing. I had to move the "args <- io getArgs"
directly into "main" before invocation of the "xmonad" function.

I haven't yet looked at the code but this seems surprising. I also suspect
it's not related to a change in xmonad, since the only core changes (and
only a core change could have any effect here) were documentation.