[xmonad] Issue 602 in xmonad: xmonad hangs when clickJustFocuses = False and the user clicks outside of the focused window while a submap is active.

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat May 2 06:33:07 UTC 2015

Comment #9 on issue 602 by untfu... at gmail.com: xmonad hangs when
clickJustFocuses = False and the user clicks outside of the focused window
while a submap is active.
https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=602

I like the peekEvent/nextEvent solution (though I'll continue exploring the
handleEventHook one as well), but the fact that it can only read from the
head of the event queue makes me nervous.  If I call nextEvent repeatedly
until reaching a KeyEvent/ButtonEvent, that has the side-effect of purging
all intermediate events from the queue.  By contrast, submap currently uses
maskEvent to (if I'm understanding correctly) defer intermediate event
processing until after the submap, allowing those events to still be
processed after.  Is there a way to do something similar to:

     peekMaskEvent dply (keyPressMask .|. buttonReleaseMask) pointer

     -- contains key or button event
     peeked_event <- getEvent pointer

then decide whether or not to use

     maskEvent dply (keyPressMask .|. buttonReleaseMask) pointer

     -- contains key or button event
     removed_event <- getEvent pointer

to remove it?  XPeekIfEvent looks promising, but it doesn't appear to be
implemented yet.

> To fix problem 1 (without invoking problem 2), you want to add
> keyPressMask to your config's clientMask.

Thanks.