[xmonad] Vanilla Xmonad distribution

Carlos López-Camey c.lopez at kmels.net
Sun Mar 1 15:43:20 UTC 2015

Hi Alexander, latest xmonad is version is 0.12 which was released quite a
while ago, it's strange Mint didn't pick the latest.

Can you try installing xmonad-contrib as follows? I found this in here:
http://xmonad.org/intro.html

     cabal install xmonad-contrib --flags="-use_xft"

If that fails.. try to install X11 with cabal and not with apt-get
(cabal install X11 --flags="-use_xft").

I would recommend compiling xmonad from source with cabal to get xmonad
0.12, you need darcs for that (just execute "cabal install darcs"). Then
you would use darcs to get the sources like this:

     darcs get http://code.haskell.org/xmonad
     darcs get http://code.haskell.org/XMonadContrib

When you want to compile the downloaded sources, you just execute "cabal
install" inside each of the folders (first xmonad and then XMonadContrib).

I also tried to run xmonad with Cinnamon once but they have their own
window manager, it seems it's coupled with the desktop environment. I asked
if there were efforts to separate the WM like a year ago but got no
response from the authors.