[xmonad] gnomeConfig, ewmh & LG3D: I cannot use both Android Studio and Chromium

David Mihola david.mihola at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 18:09:54 UTC 2015

Hello,

for a few months now I have been using xmonad (0.11, on Ubuntu) and both
Android Studio and Chromium and everything worked very well. Yesterday I
noticed that Chromium started to repeatedly lose the keyboard input (more
specifically I cannot enter text in the search bar while I still can enter
text in the web page itself, also most keyboard shortcuts are not working).

Some research suggested that I need to use the ewmh-emulation, and indeed
this fixed Chromium. But it also broke Android Studio which is now just a
grey rectangle (except for its popup windows, which are working fine).
Also, to get Android Studio to work at all I had to use setWMName "LG3D".

I have attached my xmonad.hs file. Note that my config is based on
gnomeConfig, which is based on desktopConfig which in turn is an ewhm'ed
version of defaultConfig, right? So, why does it even make a difference
whether I apply ewmh in the end at all? And more importantly, is there any
way to get all components to work together properly?

Thanks for any help!