[xmonad] Issue 559 in xmonad: Redraw of Gnomeapps fails

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Fri Jul 31 10:39:18 UTC 2015

Comment #11 on issue 559 by dtrne... at googlemail.com: Redraw of Gnomeapps
fails
https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=559

The solution is to NOT USE the SetWMName extension in order to convince
Java that xmonad is "LG3D" (which is a deprecated way of working around the
gray java windows). Because this SetWMName breaks GTK3-apps, see the xmonad
FAQ:
https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Frequently_asked_questions#Using_SetWMName

Instead use the preferred method (see FAQ
https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Frequently_asked_questions#Preferred_Method)
and set an environment variable _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1 at startup. I
did this by adding the following to my xmonad.hs:

   import System.Posix.Env (putEnv)

and adding the putEnv line to the startup of xmonad:

   main = do
             putEnv "_JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1"

Now I can use all java applications and GTK3-apps.