[xmonad] announce: xmonad-entryhelper

Javran Cheng javran.c at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 08:02:27 UTC 2015

xmonad-entryhelper <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-entryhelper>

This package is for those who loves to keep things in sandboxes.

After suffering from dependency hell several times, I find it really helps
to minimize system level packages and keep other packages either in user
level or in sandboxes.

I was able to remove xmonad from system packages, and have ~/.xinitrc to
call my compiled xmonad config. But soon I realized, different from xmonad
itself, the compiled config cannot do some fancy stuff like up-to-date
checking, recompilation & send xmonad restart requests.

Therefore I wrote this package to wrap the main function to deal with
xmonad arguments like --recompile and --restart. This makes the compiled
binary behave like xmonad binary itself.

Additionally with this package you will be able to customize recompiling
action:
for example you can use Makefile to manage your xmonad config and set
environment variable $XMONAD_HOME to your xmonad path. Then you can make
your "xmonad --recompile" call shell command "cd ${XMONAD_HOME} && make
all" to do the job.

Hope you like this package!

--
Javran (Fang) Cheng