[xmonad] Integrated screen lock in xmonad?

Timothy Beyer beyert at fastmail.net
Mon Jan 5 16:20:06 UTC 2015

At Mon, 5 Jan 2015 02:04:24 -0800,
Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently using gnome-screensaver to lock my xmonad sessions, but I
> was wondering if anyone had put together anything like a an integrated
> lock screen as a replacement.

I don't think it's a good idea (security-wise) to make a lock screen a large program.

Here is Jamie Zawinski's argument regarding that point:
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/toolkits.html

> The reason I want this is that I'd like to extend my lock screen with
> sound volume and audio pause/play buttons and I *do not want* to try
> hacking on either gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver.

Full disclaimer: this is my own software, but maybe it will be of use.

I wrote a screen locker (metalock, http://chiselapp.com/user/beyert/repository/metalock/) that supports binding arbitrary commands to keys, among other features.  It's fairly secure, but I still need to finish a program to invoke it automatically (eg. a better xidle).

> If no one has done it, a pointer in the right direction would be
> appreciated.

I don't know if it would fully address your needs, as it is very small, nor is it written in Haskell, but it isn't a bloated monolithic program like gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver, and is customizable within the context of what it does, unlike the alternatives.

Tim