[xmonad] Migrate from String to Data.Text [proposal]

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 14:06:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Matt Walker <matt.g.d.walker at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I will focus my efforts on extending xmonad in the way I'd like, and not
> worry so much about String.  If there is a point where I need to do lots of
> string processing within xmonad I can revisit this.

In general, if you find yourself dealing with sufficiently large strings to
justify Text, it probably doesn't belong in the window manager. You really
want it to be small and fast and do as much as possible outside the WM;
otherwise yoy'll find opening / moving / etc. windows to be sluggish at
best and possibly even cause hangs because the WM is doing something else
instead of responding to window requests.