[xmonad] Issue 602 in xmonad: xmonad hangs when clickJustFocuses = False and the user clicks outside of the focused window while a submap is active.

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Apr 30 17:21:16 UTC 2015

Comment #8 on issue 602 by allber... at gmail.com: xmonad hangs when
clickJustFocuses = False and the user clicks outside of the focused window
while a submap is active.
https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=602

handleEventHook is used when you are running from the main loop. This is
actually not ideal, as submaps don't really want to be mixed into the main
loop; reworking with the handleEventHook has several potential difficulties
some of which you have already encountered. A potentially worse issue is
that the main loop does not expect to be running under an existing keyboard
grab, as it would need to in this case; I don't know offhand if this will
be a problem, and didn't think about it in my initial response --- which is
kinda bad as ignoring things like that is how we get extensions that hang
or crash xmonad. :/

There is the additional issue that, since you're processing from
handleEventHook, you don't get to deal with events that interrupt your
submap --- exactly the problem you are trying to solve here. Switching
window focus with the mouse in the middle of a key sequence that affects
the focused window may lead to unexpected results and user confusion. This
is why I brought up the third alternative.