[xmonad] xmobar crash analysis

Gauthier Östervall gauthier at ostervall.se
Thu Apr 30 14:20:24 UTC 2015

Hi all!

I hope it's ok to ask xmobar questions here, it fills related enough.
Frankly, I don't know if my problem is caused by xmobar or xmonad.

Every now and then, maybe every other day, my xmobar crashes. It just
disappears, leaving a gap where I can see my background picture.

The only way to make it reappear is to log out and in. Restarting
xmobar from a terminal (same command as in my xmonad.hs) starts the
process, says that "Fields missing from config defaulted:
overrideRedirect,persistent", but the bar does not appear. Mod+q
doesn't help.

What I wonder is how I find crash and debug info about this.
/var/log/syslog doesn't mention anything about xmobar, xmonad.errors
is empty. What is going on?

Thanks,
Gauthier