[xmonad] Issue 602 in xmonad: xmonad hangs when clickJustFocuses = False and the user clicks outside of the focused window while a submap is active.

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Apr 30 05:07:15 UTC 2015

Comment #4 on issue 602 by untfu... at gmail.com: xmonad hangs when
clickJustFocuses = False and the user clicks outside of the focused window
while a submap is active.
https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=602

Thank you for your response.  Following your suggestion, I've been working
on a prototype that may eventually lead to a handleEventHook submap.
However, so far I've observed three behaviors that may be problematic:

1. handleEventHook does not process KeyEvents for any particular key (e.g.
if I wanted to put xK_f into my submap) unless I put a dummy binding for
that key in my config's "keys = ..."

2. If I do put a dummy binding in, xmonad grabs the KeyEvent for that key
under all circumstances - I can't turn it on or off - and never "resends"
them back to the window in question.  So if I bind xK_f for example,
programs no longer receive an "f" unless I resend it myself using (the only
working one I've found so far) XMonad.Util.Paste.sendKey.

3. Some programs react differently to the "fake" sendKey events.  So far,
certain file managers (thunar, nemo) doesn't recognize the keys, and some
save dialogs won't let you create folders using those keys.

Is there any method that does not require using sendKey - say, a way to
turn certain keybindings on/off, or otherwise to make it so that
xmonad "forwards" KeyEvents when they are no longer being captured by a
submap?  Alternatively, is there some other approach I should be using?

Thanks again.