[xmonad] Issue 600 in xmonad: conflicting install instructions

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Tue Apr 14 09:49:44 UTC 2015

Comment #2 on issue 600 by Ian... at gmail.com: conflicting install
instructions
https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=600

Having different ways of installing is great. There is just a little
confusing inconsistency going on. And I actually wasn't super clear in my
bug.

Let me clarify. Background: http://xmonad.org/download.html is where users
are funneled from the main page, it appears to overview the install
methods, and leads users on to  http://xmonad.org/intro.html which appears
to be the complete documentation on install.

1. download.html says "After you've downloaded, follow the install
instructions (link to intro.html)", then on intro.html, the tarbal you
downloaded is never mentioned. So either remove the mention of downloading
manually from hackage, or have an  instruction which involves
xmonad-<version>.tar.gz on intro.html. I still don't know how you would
install the tarball. cabal install xmonad-<version>.tar.gz? The download
link on hackage is not the easiest to find (at the bottom of the page), so
I'd prefer steering people to the simpler cabal install <name> method.

2. intro.html should mention the "cabal install
http://code.haskell.org/xmonad/xmonad.tar.gz" method which was first
mentioned on the download.html page or else it's confusing (this first page
said I could do this, and now this other page looks like it's meant to
cover everything, but it doesn't say I can do this).

If this makes sense, I can write a patch and do a PR on github.