[xmonad] Looking for "runOrKill" function

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 20:49:02 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Sepp Tannhuber <sepp.tannhuber at yahoo.de>
wrote:

> scratchpads = [
>      NS "calendar" "urxvt -name calendar -e task calendar" (title =?
> "calendar")
>  ] where name = stringProperty "WM_NAME"

(1) the "where name = ..." isn't doing anything here

(2) You're missing the target rectangle for the scratchpad (whether to make
a tiled window, a standard floating window, or a custom floating window).
That's the source of the type error. Compare to my earlier pastebinned
example:

myScratchpads = [NS "calendar"
                    "xterm -title calendar -hold -e task calendar"
                    (title =? "calendar")
                    -- I don't know screen or font size so this is a
very rough guess at the RationalRect
                    (customFloating $ W.RationalRect 0 (1/10) (4/10) (3/10))
                ]

You're missing the customFloating part, or a replacement for it
(nonFloating, defaultFloating) that tells it what to do with the window
when it's created. (That's the "ManageHook" it's complaining about.)