[xmonad] xmonad --recompile breakage

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 22:40:37 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Carsten Mattner <
> carstenmattner at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> xmonad --recompile stopped working here this week and fails with scope
> >> errors
> >> in stuff from xmonadcontrib. Anyone else see this?
> >
> > Are you running it in a cabal sandbox, by any chance?
>
> No and I ran "cabal clean" before compiling and purge ~/.ghc and ~/.cabal.
> WIll test again tomorrow to rule out user failure

The other thing that commonly goes wrong is mismatched versions; if your
xmonad and xmonad-contrib are different versions, you will either get
errors about one being missing (ghc caught it and refused to use the
incompatible one) or bizarre typeclass mismatches (ghc didn't catch it, but
the compiled typeclass references a different version than ghc found/used).
One subclass of this is having multiple versions of either xmonad or
xmonad-contrib installed, which can lead ghc to use the wrong one or
occasionally try to use both versions (if you have stuff in ~/.xmonad/lib,
such that some things compile against one and some the other).