[xmonad] Fwd: Patch to add new Layout message

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Oct 11 18:53:36 UTC 2014

I started with those docs and wrote up a blog entry documenting how to
extend a Layout.  I haven't published it yet, and would appreciate feedback
on it. Also, if someone who can edit the wiki wants to use this to fill in
the appropriate part of the wiki docs, that would be fine by me.

You can get to the markdown on draftin at
https://draftin.com/documents/490906?token=i8AJR0nv8RK3G8KYV07NXxzArVeDgkTBvPvj4qa3M8BkdX-mUs07C8ZGj6_T4mwZAr8A22gcRjkqgUr3PmHR2rM

That should let you edit the markdown and show me the diffs. If you don't
want to deal with draftin, let me know and I'll see about getting it to you
another way.

Thanks,
Mike

On Oct 3, 2014 11:34 AM, "Devin Mullins" <devin.mullins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Couple of docs on developing contribs:
>   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/xmonad_development_tutorial
>   http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Doc-Developing.html
> but the section on LayoutClass just says "to do"...
>
> The API docs for LayoutClass are decent, though:
>   http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad/XMonad-Core.html#t:LayoutClass
>
> Nothing on extending the built-in layouts. Building a data wrapper just
seemed like the the obvious thing to do.

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to all for the help. I've now got it done as a configuration
using an extension of Tall.  I added a note to the issue (
http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=577&q=message#makechanges)
that it can be closed.

>> Final question - is there a writeup somewhere on extending the builtin
Layouts as Devin showed here?