[xmonad] Startup Arguments

Devin Mullins devin.mullins at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 04:49:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Chris Bell <cwbell at mail.usf.edu> wrote:

> On a related note, any recommendations for resources to help me wrap
> my head around/understand the capabilities of Haskell?

That's a big question. For a general intro, I've heard good things about
Learn You a Haskell [1], and of course Real World Haskell [2] was
co-written by one of the creators of xmonad. Myself, I just learned through
my usual combination of trial-and-error and perusing blogs, mailing lists,
random bits of code, and the spec.

As for what your head needs wrapping around, I would need more information,
but for many people the first barrier is the syntax, so... Lesson #1:
function calls look like `f 1 2` instead of `f(1, 2)`. There is actually a
good reason for this. Exercise: Find out what that reason is. Class
dismissed.

[1] http://learnyouahaskell.com/
[2] http://book.realworldhaskell.org/