[xmonad] Compiling xmobar or taffybar into xmonad

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Mon Jan 13 07:07:02 UTC 2014

Brandon Allbery wrote:

> It's a very bad idea without rearchitecting xmonad's main loop to allow it
> to support anything other than X11 events. In particular, you really want
> timed events for a status bar, and at present the only way to get that
> while maintaining access to xmonad's internal state is to have a separate
> thread periodically sendMessage X11 events to the main thread.

Oh wow, I wasn't going to do anything clever, I was just going to forkIO
what would normally have been the main function of taffybar.

Taffybar already runs happily in its own process without access to xmonad's
internal state, so all it would be doing is using the exising communication
protocols and sharing the RTS.

Erik