[xmonad] Losing dropdown menus

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Fri Jan 10 23:54:06 UTC 2014

Hi again,

I'm running xmonad on Debian unstable. Mostly it's great. However, sometimes with some applications I cannot see drop-down menus. This happens with the Okular pdf viewer, but not always. I can't reproduce this consistently yet, but it happens about half the time.

What happens: the app launches and runs fine. If I click on the top menu (file etc) the item looks 'depressed' as it should, but no dropdown menu appears. If this problem occurs, it persists for the entire time the app is open.

This also happens with virtualbox. In this case, everytime I run it, the dropdowns are invisible/absent. However, I can access menu items using the keyboard arrows to blindly move through the menus. So virtualbox thinks the menu is there, I just can't see it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tyler