[xmonad] Issue 200 in xmonad: xmonad spins in a tight loop changing focus back and forth

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Fri Feb 21 14:45:37 UTC 2014

Comment #24 on issue 200 by allber... at gmail.com: xmonad spins in a tight
loop changing focus back and forth

No, it won't affect ediff, that's one of many frame-related bugs in emacs.

Emacs likes to think it gets to decide things like focus (this hasn't been
true or legal since X11R4), so when the window manager sets the focus emacs
decides it wants another frame to have focus instead and moves it. Most
window managers don't pay attention to emacs forcibly setting focus, xmonad
is being strict about ICCCM/EWMH and switching focus back. It's the
equivalent of Chrome and Firefox switching focus around, except they use
EWMH to tell the window manager to do it instead of just slamming it
themselves and if you hack EWMH to ignore the focus change message you can
override it.

(I have managed to provoke all kinds of weird behavior from emacs' frame
support. Speedbar is another good way to do it; if you try to capture it in
an IM layout, it will constantly escape the layout. I gave up, as the emacs
folks don't appear to have any intention of following ICCCM or EWMH.)