[xmonad] How to start xmonad with lxde?

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 16:51:26 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Adam Sjøgren <asjo at koldfront.dk> wrote:
> Carsten writes:
>
>> For some reason dmenu_run is configured by many Xmonad users instead
>> of the shellPrompt, which is superior in several ways. I mean,
>> everybody should give it a try as they're nicer to use and more
>> flexible to configure. There are more prompts available than only
>> shellPrompt.
>
> You're not selling it well - I have something which works fine, and you
> say I should switch to something which is superior, nicer and more
> flexible...
>
> Well, what does it actually provide which makes it those things? How
> will I feel the difference?
>
> Just curious!

I'm not a car sales man but I can try to list advantages in the
hopes of convincing you to try it out.

* the completion behavior suits me better when for example
you're completing an executable inside a directory
* it more correctly picks up $PATH entries compared to dmenu_run
* it doesn't delay as much due to caching like dmenu_run and
feels faster on startup because of that while not missing new
executables just installed
* behavior is configurable in xmonad.hs
* presentations is configurable in xmonad.hs

Configuration if you want to configure it is simple, just consult
the online documentation.

http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Prompt.html#t:XPConfig
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Prompt-Shell.html

Also there are other prompts than just shellPrompt like in the
ion window manager or stumpwm.

I believe someone recently contributed a password retrieval prompt
but I didn't try that.