[xmonad] How to make the menu key your mod key too?

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 19:41:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 02:36:17PM -0500, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> This is a little more involved, since we rely on X11's keyboard handling instead
> of trying to interpret nonportable keycodes directly. The Menu key is not a
> modifier key in common X11 keymaps, but is bound to xK_Menu. You need to undo
> this, either using Xkb (a crawling horror which is "recommended" but which even
> those who recommend it do not fully understand)

I use the Xkb way here [1] to remap keys and assign modifiers. In this
particular case I used a special "none" modifier which removes the key
from all the modifiers, this one is not nicely documented, but other
than that the Xkb resources seem to provide decent info.

[1] https://gitorious.org/xmonad-smartphone-config/xmonad-smartphone-config/source/aa36011d09c17d2fef0c40fd8d5451f27110fb59:.xkb/symbols/xkbcustom

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com