[xmonad] darcs patch: Add Stoppable layout for power saving

Anton Vorontsov anton at enomsg.org
Fri Aug 29 19:34:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 09:10:19PM +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 01:12:31PM -0700, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:00:28PM +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
> > > Handy for the shit-sites that make firefox spin violently even when
> > > it's not visible!
> >
> > Exactly. :) Extends laptop on-battery time drastically.
>
> This has an unpleasant side-effect though, I'm usually having firefox
> (duh, should be using emacs-w3m more but it sucks in its own ways)
> fullscreen and when I copy a link from it or just select some text,
> and switch to a different workspace, the pasting from X selection
> doesn't happen until I switch back to unfreeze the
> shit-browser. That's less annoying than wasting cpu cycles but as a
> known limitation should better be documented.

Yea, this is pretty much how X11's clipboard works. In case of pasting I
kinda used to revert to stoppable workspace momentary, so that stopped
application had a chance to transfer things.

I was also thinking of making a delay, say 10 seconds before stopping,
that will cover most cases and might be a nice additional feature by
itself.

Thanks,
Anton