[xmonad] Per-workspace Application Instances

Chris Bell cwbell at mail.usf.edu
Mon Aug 25 18:10:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also note that environment variables will not work if you expect to see them
> in e.g. shells; they're inherited at process creation time and cannot be
> updated by other processes afterward.

I know, but i figured it was better than the current situation. I'd
just have to remember the limitation.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> Add EwmhDesktops to your config and use wmctrl or xprop -root to get the
> current desktop. Both will require processing the output: "wmctrl -d"
> indicates the current desktop with an asterisk and "xprop -root -notype
> _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP" includes the property name.

This is an awesome solution. Thank you so very, very much. I ended up
using `wmctrl -d | egrep \* | cut -b 1` to get the workspace index,
and created a shell script to munge everything together. Result: each
workspace works with its own qpdfview instance.
Thanks again!
Chris