[xmonad] Partial-width tiling

Philip DeBoer philip.deboer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 01:35:06 UTC 2014

Is there a mode in which tiles do not fill the whole screen width, but
allow blank spaces?

For example, I use the ResizableTile layout, but in order to resize windows
I need multiple windows open. I would like to be able to resize a window
without opening multiple windows.

The use-case is for reading text --- I often find that the line-length is
too long, for example on websites or even man pages. A hack is to open an
xterm and use that to fill part of the space. A better solution would just
fill the empty space with a transparent window (and not require another
program to load!). I am not looking for tiling per se, and would be happy
just to see my background in the unfilled space.

Is there already a layout that would do this?

Thanks for suggestions!
Philip