[xmonad] Issue 554 in xmonad: mkKeymap (hence additionalKeysP) doesn't handle NLS characters

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Sep 4 04:16:13 CEST 2013

Comment #4 on issue 554 by allber... at gmail.com: mkKeymap (hence
additionalKeysP) doesn't handle NLS characters

There's going to have to be a table somewhere, since the codes for
characters outside the range \x20-\x7e aren't synched to Unicode (and in
fact predate Unicode, and even ISO 8859-1).

The good news is that, at least with X.Org, the comments for the keysyms
include the Unicode code points as U+xxxx. The bad news is that X11 puts
various extension keysyms in FD00-FFFF, which may potentially collide with
Unicode codepoints. I don't know that we care much about these, though;
they're largely special forms, e.g. FC00-FDFF is Arabic Presentation
Forms-A and FF00-FFFF is CJK Half-width and Full-width Characters.

See /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h on Linux / *BSD (or equivalents elsewhere,
e.g. /opt/X11/include/X11/keysymdef for XQuartz on OS X).