[xmonad] 2 bugs in pasteSelection (7s for /s on german keyboard, whitespaces lost)

Daan van Rossum d.r.vanrossum at gmx.de
Mon Nov 18 22:33:04 UTC 2013

* on Sunday, 17.11.13 at 11:12, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Carlos Franke <carlos_franke at posteo.de>wrote:
>
> > I noticed two misbehaviours of pasteSelection (from Xmonad.Util.Paste):
> >
> > 1. In my setup, most notably with a standard German (QWERTZ) keyboard
> > layout, pasteSelection converts slashes ("/") to sevens ("7"), thus messing
> > up URLs and path names. With a QWERTZ keyboard, you get a slash by pressing
> > Shift-7, so this is probably connected.
> >
> > 2. Whitespaces (space, tab, newline) are lost when pasting with
> > pasteSelection.

2) There was a patch that fixed the space/tab/newline problem submitted to this list a few weeks ago.  I don't know if it was put in the central repo yet, but you can find it in the mail archive and patch your local clone with it.  That's what I do.

1) At the same location where the patch is applied (line 62) you can alter the string containing the characters that are "shifted" and add the "/" to that string.  The current value is "~!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:\"<>?", note that no "/" is in that string.  That should fix your problem, but then only work correctly for a QWERTZ keyboard...

The right way to do this would be to define the shift-character string in xmonad.hs and use the hardcoded QWERTY only as a default.  This should be easy to change...

--
daan