[xmonad] 2 bugs in pasteSelection (7s for /s on german keyboard, whitespaces lost)

Carlos Franke carlos_franke at posteo.de
Sun Nov 17 09:21:25 UTC 2013

Preliminaries:
  – I have tried to post the following issue without being subscribed
to the mailing list a few days ago, but according to the archive, it
did not get through. While I am now a subscriber, I still probably
won't follow the discussion on the list (sorry), so if you you want to
make sure that a certain message reaches me, CC it to my personal
address.
  – I would have used the bug tracker for this, but I do not have a
Google account. Sorry again, if this is inconvenient.

I noticed two misbehaviours of pasteSelection (from Xmonad.Util.Paste):

1. In my setup, most notably with a standard German (QWERTZ) keyboard
layout, pasteSelection converts slashes ("/") to sevens ("7"), thus
messing up URLs and path names. With a QWERTZ keyboard, you get a slash
by pressing Shift-7, so this is probably connected.

2. Whitespaces (space, tab, newline) are lost when pasting with
pasteSelection.

About my setup:

I am calling pasteSelection by keystroke, configured like this in my
xmonad.hs:
`additionalKeysP`
[ ("M-p", spawn "dmenu_run")
, ("M-f", sendMessage ToggleStruts)
, ("M-v", pasteSelection)
]

I am running Xmonad 0.11-7 and Xmonad-contrib 0.11.2-2 on Arch Linux.

pasteSelection is a great tool and I would love to see the above issues
fixed. If I can help with that (testing?), please let me know.

Carlos