[xmonad] Change Layout Using a Hotkey

adam vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Sun May 5 08:23:53 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> One more that just occurred to me: persistent ExtensibleState is stored
> within the layout so it can be passed on via mod-q, and I'm not sure what
> would happen to this state if you replace the layout with something not
> reachable via layoutHook. (This may not only affect persistence across
> restarts, but conceivably could result in anything using ExtensibleState
> using an unrelated copy of that state post-setLayout. I would have to trace
> through the ExtensibleState code to see if this is a problem, or if we hid
> it in the Layout wrapper or something so it might get copied over
> correctly.)

Hi Brandon & Eyal,

ExtensibleState is a separate from the layout
<http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad/XMonad-Core.html#t:XState> so
whatever you do with setLayout shouldn't have an impact there. It's
pretty likely that you won't maintain the results of a (setLayout $
Layout x) after a restart. An exception to that trend is if `x' has
the same type as what you have in the layoutHook. In that case you'll
have the new layout restored, instead of just getting the one
specified in the layoutHook.

Cheers,
Adam