[xmonad] Change Layout Using a Hotkey

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu May 2 19:54:02 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Eyal Erez <oneself at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to bind a keyboard shortcut to change to a specific layout
> (e.g. Full, Grid, etc.).  I've been using  sendMessage $ JumpToLayout
> "Full", however, it will only switch to a layout that is already configured
> in layoutHook.
>
> I'd like to switch to a layout that is _not_ in the layoutHook.  Is this
> possible?

In theory you could set a layout that is not in the layoutHook, using
setLayout and an existential wrapper; in practice, I suspect it would be
forgotten fairly quickly and you would be reset back to what is in the
layoutHook. The layoutHook is how the rest of xmonad knows about the
layout. What are you expecting things that need to run the layout (for
example, when a new window opens) to do? Guess and hope?