[xmonad] screen resolution and xmobar

Dmitry Malikov malikov.d.y at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 10:14:55 CEST 2013

On 06/26/2013 10:34 AM, Yakir Gagnon wrote:
> Hi!
> Started using Xmonad and love it, but:
>
> I'm using a laptop that I sometimes dock. I then have the laptop
> screen turned off and use instead a much larger separate screen. The
> resolution gets messed up when I login Xmonad (I guess it retained the
> laptop's original resolution). I then run*/xrandr --output HDMI3
> --mode 1920x1200/* to change it to the larger screen's full
> resolution, and everything looks nice. But the xmobar doesn't stretch
> across the full width of the screen and the background desktop image
> is tiled to fill the whole screen...
> I guess what I'm asking is, how can I best set up .xsession and / or
> xmonad.hs (and .xmobarrc) to make this work?
> Ultimately I'd like it to work when I dock my laptop but also when the
> laptop isn't docked...
>
> Many thanks in advance for any kind of help!
>
> Yakir Gagnon
> Queensland Brain Institute (Bldg 79)
> University of Queensland
> St Lucia, Brisbane QLD 4072
> Australia
>
> cell +61 0424 393 332

Hi, Yakir.
It seems to be xmonad issue only, it uses screen resolution retrieved
when X session started and did not update it dynamically. I wonder what
xmonad module is responsible for that issue and how it could be fixed.

I'm reproducing this bug every day and it is actually the last thing
that stops me from using xmobar every day.

--
Best regards,
dmitry malikov