[xmonad] Problem getting simpleTabbed to work.

Stefan Pynappels stefan.pynappels at sptechnical.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 21:13:29 CET 2013

Hi all,

Please go easy on me as I'm a noob at this xmonad/Haskell lark, but I've exhausted my Google-fu.

I'm running xmonad on Ubuntu 12.04 and I'm very happy with it, it works very well and I've happily made some minor changes like changing the keybinding for the default ALT key and using xmobar etc.

However, I've had some problems getting the simple Tabbed layout working, I wanted to replace the Full layout with the tabbed layout.

Here is my xmonad.hs:

import XMonad
import XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog
import XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks
import XMonad.Util.Run(spawnPipe)
import XMonad.Util.EZConfig(additionalKeys)
import System.IO
import XMonad.Layout.Tabbed
myLayout = ( Tall 1 (1/2) (3/100) ||| Mirror Tall ||| simpleTabbed )
myWorkspaces = ["1:terminal","2:web","3:XenDesktop","4:four","5:five","6:six","7:seven","8:media","9:Skype"]
main = do
    xmproc <- spawnPipe "/usr/bin/xmobar /home/stefan/.xmobarrc"
    xmonad $ defaultConfig
        { manageHook = manageDocks <+> manageHook defaultConfig
        , workspaces = myWorkspaces
        , modMask = mod5Mask
        , layoutHook = avoidStruts  $  layoutHook defaultConfig
        , logHook = dynamicLogWithPP xmobarPP
                        { ppOutput = hPutStrLn xmproc
                        , ppTitle = xmobarColor "green" "" . shorten 50
                        }
        }

But when I restart xmonad using alt-q, I get the following error:

Error detected while loading xmonad configuration file: /home/stefan/.xmonad/xmonad.hs

xmonad.hs:8:55:
    Couldn't match expected type `Rational -> Rational -> Tall a0'
                with actual type `Window'
    Expected type: XMonad.Layout.LayoutModifier.ModifiedLayout
                     (XMonad.Layout.Decoration.Decoration
                        TabbedDecoration XMonad.Layout.Decoration.DefaultShrinker)
                     XMonad.Layout.Simplest.Simplest
                     (Rational -> Rational -> Tall a0)
      Actual type: XMonad.Layout.LayoutModifier.ModifiedLayout
                     (XMonad.Layout.Decoration.Decoration
                        TabbedDecoration XMonad.Layout.Decoration.DefaultShrinker)
                     XMonad.Layout.Simplest.Simplest
                     Window
    In the second argument of `(|||)', namely `simpleTabbed'
    In the second argument of `(|||)', namely
      `Mirror Tall ||| simpleTabbed'

Please check the file for errors.

The only difference between the above xmonad.hs file and a working one is the entire myLayout line has been added to the above, following the guide on the xmonad page and some other guides Google turned up.

So, can aybody point me to where it's going wrong? I could not find any reference to `Rational -> Rational -> Tall a0`.

Thanks in advance.

Stefan.