[xmonad] Workspace ordering and DynamicWorkspaces (+ patch)

Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C. pablo at glatelier.org
Tue Jan 15 02:52:52 CET 2013

On 14 January 2013 21:50, Hans Chen <hanswchen at gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I know, it's not in 0.11 (I had to apply the patch manually).
> You'll have to wait for 0.12 or use darcs.

Considering the time took between versions, I rather use darcs. I
thinks it's time to learn.

> The patch is not specific to X.A.DynamicWorkspace (it affects
> X.U.WorkspaceCompare), but you'll notice it when creating a new workspace
> yes.

Yes, indeed with the darcs version works that way.

> Hope that helps,
> Hans

Thanks :)

A couple of months ago, you started a similar thread[1], it derived in
a sort-of offtopic discussion, but there were a very interesting part,
that you might find useful.

----
myDzenPP = defaultPP
  {
  , ppSort = getSortByMyRule
  }
----

----
-- First show visible screens, then invisible screens with more
-- recently visited ones earlier. I'd also like to see the empty
-- invisible ones, in a different colour.
myWorkspaceCompare :: Bool -> X WorkspaceCompare
myWorkspaceCompare phy = do
    w <- gets windowset
    return $ \ a b -> case (isOnScreen a w, isOnScreen b w) of
        (True, False)  -> LT
        (False, True)  -> GT
        (True, True)   -> cmpPosition phy w a b
        (False, False) -> comparing (recentlySeen w) a b
  where
    recentlySeen w t = case findIndex (t==) $ map (W.tag .
W.workspace) (W.visible w) of
                         Just n  -> n
                         Nothing -> length (W.visible w)
    allScreens w =  W.current w : W.visible w
    isOnScreen a w  = a `elem` map (W.tag . W.workspace) (allScreens w)
    tagToSid s x = W.screen $ fromJust $ find ((== x) . W.tag . W.workspace) s
    cmpPosition False w a b = comparing       (tagToSid $ allScreens w) a b
    cmpPosition True  w a b = comparing (rect.(tagToSid $ allScreens w)) a b
      where rect i = let (Rectangle x y _ _) = screens !! fromIntegral
i in (y,x)
            screens = map (screenRect . W.screenDetail) $ sortBy
(comparing W.screen) $ W.current w : W.visible w

getSortByMyRule = mkWsSort $ myWorkspaceCompare True
----

That part was from Jacek Generowitz xmonad.hs[2], and does basically
what it says in the comment. Sadly, the whole file expired, so I could
post what I found in my ~/.xmonad directory.

Sorry for the OT, but the famous issue with the ICCCM patch it's on
0.11 or darcs? or it hasn't been applied? For future reference, where
I am supposed to look if I have this kind of doubts?

[1]: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2012-October/013083.html
[2]: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2012-October/013095.html

Regards,
--