[xmonad] cabal sandbox

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 01:34:49 CET 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>wrote:

> Trying to build and run XMonad from within a cabal sandbox
> using the sandbox feature found in cabal HEAD doesn't manage
> to build the xmonad binary from xmonad.hs. I belive it's
> caused by the ghc calls in XMonad.Core.

xmonad is primarily a library with a stub executable; if you built the
library in a sandbox, you have very little choice but to run it in that
sandbox.  I don't see how this is a bug; it certainly cannot be "fixed",
unless you expect xmonad to suddenly learn how to track down *at compile
time* that it is being built in a sandbox, and either (a) secretly clone a
copy of it somewhere else so it will work even when you tear that sandbox
down later, or (b) hardcode a reference to that sandbox into the generated
xmonad and hope the sandbox is still there when the user goes to build
their xmonad.hs.

(I encourage you to think about the details here.)