[xmonad] restackWindow / raiseWindow

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:36:04 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:05 AM, Jochen Keil <jochen.keil at gmail.com> wrote:

> So far, so good, yet it doesn't work. The reason lies in Operations.hs,
> specifically in the "windows" function:
>
>   io $ restackWindows d (map fst vs)
>
> This makes all my efforts useless. For now I've put the raiseWindow line
> into the logHook where it works, but I think this is not the right place.
>
> Any suggestions how to improve this? Would a patch for making the
> restacking behaviour configurable be accepted?

I can't find the original bug where I proposed changing the above to
raiseWindow the focused window instead of hammering the entire z-order; but
I reference it in <
https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=346#c13 >.  But that
change would fix or mitigate a number of issues, and probably make the
floating layer issues a bit more tractable.

It could (and probably should) be argued that stacking belongs in the
layout, probably by a new field which existing layouts would default.  A
global change to the stacking policy would then be a layout modifier along
the lines of avoidStruts or smartBorders, plus custom layouts could also
replace it at need.