[xmonad] xmonad on OSX Mountain Lion

Mark Pardijs mrpardijs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 23:53:27 CET 2013

I spend an evening trying to get xmonad under OSX Mountain Lion to work,
but with little success... I followed this guides (
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_on_Apple_OSX#Modern_installation_instructions,
http://sourcematters.org/2012/06/27/xmonad-on-os-x-lion.html,
https://gist.github.com/3923233). I end up with having X11 configured as
not run in Full screen mode, other wise nothing happens and I just see my
normal OSX desktop. When I then start XQuartz app, I can start various
xterms, or xlogo, or xman by pressing Mod-return, and switch to the default
xmonad layouts, but don't get the idea how to manage opening other
applications such as my browser or, for example, the Notes app.
Can you explain how this should work and how to accomplish this?