[xmonad] virt-manager guest view and xmonad

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 15:54:37 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:04 AM, Thomas Koch <thomas at koch.ro> wrote:

> I'm running xmonad as wm for gnome3 on Debian stable and a virtualized
> Debian unstable also with gnome3 and xmonad. I view the guest with the
> viewer integrated in virt-manager (spice).
>
> mod-buttonN work on the viewer instead of being propageted to the guest
> and effecting the client window running in the guest.
>
> mod-[1-9] for example work inside the guest and switch workplaces inside
> the
> guest. But I want to modify windows inside the guest.

virt-viewer is grabbing the keyboard but not the pointer? o.O This seems
awkward at best. (There is also a distinct shortage of useful documentation
to see if there's some way to make it do a more complete grab / "capture
mode".)

I don't think there's a good way to work around this aside from using a
different modifier for the mouse events on one side or the other. You would
have to check which window the mouse event was applied to, and synthesize
and forward a new event in the case of virt-viewer; but many programs
ignore those events, as the server forcibly tags them as synthetic for
security reasons (consider the local-GUI version of various web injection
attacks).